Sunday April 13, 2014
Zhao Zhao's art installation at ART Cologne 2014. Photo by Sascha Steinbach/Getty Images
ART Cologne, one of Germany's most prestigious and one of the world's oldest art fairs held its press preview at Koelnmesse on April 9, 2014 in Cologne, Germany. Founded in 1967, by two artists, the 48th edition features modern and contemporary art and runs from 10 to 13 April 2014.
Approximately 200 international art galleries are participating. Artworks on view include painting, sculpture, photography, video, works on paper, performance and installation art. Several highlights include large format artworks by acclaimed artists Joel Shapiro, Ai Wei-Wei, and Jeppe Hein.
Cologne is the "cultural center of the Rhineland region and beyond" according to the art fair's website.
Learn more about art fairs on Fine Art at About.com.
Saturday April 5, 2014
England is home to a wide range of art museums. This month, Fine Art will feature several British museums including employment information.
- The Wilson Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum in Cheltenham, England officially opened in 1899. The Museum maintains a permanent collection of a wide range of cultural works such as key pieces of the renowned Arts & Crafts movement, oil paintings, archaeological artifacts and archives of local history.
- The Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, England officially opened in 1877. The Museum maintains a permanent collection of paintings, sculpture and decorative art from the 13th century to the present day.
- The Lady Lever Art Gallery in Liverpool, England officially opened on 16 December 1922, and is best known for its collection of Pre-Raphaelite artworks.
- The Sudley House in Liverpool, England is a well-preserved Victorian merchant's home with paintings, decorative art and period costume and furnishings on display.
- The Museum of Liverpool in Liverpool, England officially opened to the public in 1993.
- The Central Art Gallery in Ashton-under-Lyne, England hosts a varied temporary exhibition program of artworks by local and regional artists in the greater Manchester area.
- The Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, England opened its collections and gardens to the public in the 18th century.
- The Burton Art Gallery and Museum in Bideford, England was established in 1951. The Museum's collection includes over 2,500 items such as oil paintings, watercolors, prints, drawings, photographs, ceramics, decorative arts and social history artifacts.
Monday March 31, 2014
Visitors take in the new Nomadic Museum during a press preview for "Ashes and Snow," a multimedia exhibit by artist Gregory Colbert, March 2, 2005 in New York City. The Nomadic Museum, designed by Japanese architect Shigeru Ban, is a 45,000 square-foot temporary museum made of 148 steel shipping containers and recycled paper tubes. The Nomadic Museum sits on Pier 54 on the Hudson River before traveling to Los Angeles, Beijing and Paris. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Architect Shigeru Ban recently became a Pritzker Laureate, the highly-esteemed award for architects. Ban is known for his use of recyclable materials, most notably cardboard tubes which he uses for his infrastructure.
Even though he is an architect, Ban also works in the art world, creating installations for notable art events such as the Singapore Biennale, and creating art museums such as the Nomadic Museum pictured above.
What I find inspiring about his work is his innovative thinking and his use of regular materials. He is a good role model for both aspiring artists and architects alike.
Sunday March 30, 2014
The School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore is seeking a professor to fill its faculty position in Museology/Museum Studies.
Application deadline: 30 June 2014
ADM is Singapore's first comprehensive art school providing art students a studio-based education. The school offers a limited amount of BFA, MA and PhD degrees.
ADM seeks a professor who can "engage students historically, socially, and conceptually and inspire imaginative, critical and interdisciplinary reflection across theory and practice."
Please refer to the university's website for further information on how to apply for the position.